The HNC Diploma in Construction is the industry recognised higher education qualification for trainees and practising building professionals in quantity surveying, building surveying, estimating, project planning, design and site management. The course will help you to develop knowledge and skills in areas such as building measurement and cost studies, environmental building science, building services, construction materials and specifications, as well as sustainability and modern methods of construction.
How long is the course?
The course runs on a full-time basis over a period of one year.
What qualification will I achieve?
HNC in Construction and Built Environment. The course is a CIOB (The Chartered Institute of Building) recognised course.
What will I study?
This course will develop your qualifications and skills for success in construction management within the built environment.
You will cover aspects of construction management and sustainable development principles related to the following modules:
- Science and Materials for Construction and the Built Environment
- Health, Safety and Welfare for Construction and the Built Environment
- Management Principles and Application Construction and the Built Environment
- Construction and Maintenance of Buildings
- Design Principles and Application for Construction and the Built Environment
- Computer Aided Design for Construction
- Measurement in Construction.
- Group Project in the Construction Industry
Please note that units may change
Projects may include the following examples:
- Design of a new house to comply with the ‘code for sustainable homes’.
- Adaptation of an existing old house to meet current regulations and standards.
- Evaluate the performance of an existing modern building considering materials and energy.
- Design of a multi-storey student accommodation building to high BREEAM standards.
- Investigate the local climate and perform a site investigation to assess a development site including using environmental assessment methods and then plan the creation and improvement of urban habitats, sustainable drainage and establish flood risk.
Where will I study?
You will study at University Campus Barnsley, Church Street South Yorkshire S70 2AN and the Think Low Carbon Centre Honeywell Lane, Barnsley S75 1BP.
What equipment will I need?
A full list will be provided at enrolment.
How will I be assessed?
A range of practical and realistic sustainable development projects will be used to develop the skills and knowledge needed for employment and further study. The evidence from the completion and presentation of project tasks will be used for assessment of each unit. Examinations will be used to test knowledge.
What can I do next?
After completing your HNC in Construction and the Built Environment, you can progress onto the HND course with the correct credit profile. You can also progress on to the full time BSc (Hons) degree in Construction Project Management with the correct credit profile.
Graduates have gone on to work in construction and project management, quantity surveying, building surveying, site engineering and architectural technology
How do I apply?
Apply directly via UCAS.
How much does the course cost?
Course fees: £5,995 per year.
As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need
For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44 (0)1226 216 165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org