Course Details


This Foundation Degree is a vocational programme for those who are involved in learning support as a teaching assistant, classroom assistant, learning mentor or volunteer in a learning support setting. All modules are closely related to the work of learning support workers.

How long is the course?

This course runs for two years, two evenings per week, Monday and Wednesday from 6.00pm-9.00pm.

What qualification will I achieve?

Level 5 Foundation Degree in Learning Support from the University of Hull.

What will I study?

  • Study Skills for Higher Education
  • Supporting and Enhancing Learning
  • Social Contexts of Learning
  • Digital Technologies for Learning
  • Managing Behaviour
  • Working with Professionals and Families
  • Understanding Learning and Teaching
  • Research Methods
  • Safeguarding
  • Professional Practice
  • Project
  • Education and Social Policy

Where will I study?

University Campus Barnsley, Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2AN.

What equipment will I need?

Core text book (details will be supplied). Access to IT facilities

How will I be assessed?

Assessments will be through a variety of different means including written assignments, presentations, online discussions and activities.

What can I do next?

After completing the course you would be able to go on and top up your foundation degree to a full BA (Hons) degree. Or you may decide that you wish to do a degree with QTS and become a teacher.

How do I apply?

Apply directly via UCAS.

How much does the course cost?

Course fees: £5,995 per year

Student Finance 

A Maintenance Loan of up to £4,565 per year will be available to eligible students living with parents or up to £5,740 per year to those living away from home.

A Maintenance Grant will be awarded to eligible students whose household income is up to £42,620 per year. The full grant is £3,387 per year if your household income is £25,000 per year or less. A Maintenance Grant does not have to be paid back, but any funds received will reduce the amount of Maintenance Loan you can get.

If you are a lone parent or have certain disabilities you may be eligible for a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant. The Amount is the same but it won’t reduce the amount of Maintenance Loan you can get.

Students with children or dependent adults may qualify for Childcare Grant or Parents’ Learning Allowance. Students can apply for these at the same time as applying for other loans and grants.

Remember: eligible students will not have to pay tuition fees in advance and can apply for the Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant before they start the course. Apply online at

As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. For further details go to:

Disability and Dyslexia Service

If you have a disability, long term health condition, mental health condition or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia) you may be eligible for Disabled Students’ Allowances. For further details go to:

Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need. For more information please contact the team on +44 (0)1226 216 782 or go to /life-at-ucb/disability-and-dyslexia-service

Further information

For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44(0)1226 216 165 or email

Any changes to the information on this page can be found on the Updates to UCB Information page

♣  is an award of the University of Hull

Hull University