Our Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Hospitality Management is a UK accredited course which is internationally recognised. It is a sound foundation for a career in hospitality or tourism, either managing your own small business or in middle management in a larger organisation. This course is designed with a global focus, to provide broad based skills, and a capacity to adapt to change in what is a dynamic and rapidly evolving industry.
The HND Diploma in Hospitality Management is aimed at students who would like a good understanding of all hospitality management aspects.
How long is the course?
This course runs for two years. The programme will be delivered over 2.5 days, days to be confirmed.
What qualification will I achieve?
BTEC Level 5 HND in Hospitality Management.
What will I study?
The timetable will include theory, practical and self-study sessions as well as taking part in planned hospitality events (these could take place outside timetabled sessions). As well as studying the required generic units you will study optional units.
The optional units are chosen to allow different pathways to employment and suitable for those who have a particular interest in the practical food and beverage area of Hospitality Management. Job roles may include Food and Beverage Operations Manager, Head Chef, Executive Chef, Development Chef and for those interested in general Hospitality Management, as well as Events and Conference Management. Career paths may include management roles within hotels, restaurants and the license trade as well as that of Event Manager or Conference and Banqueting Manager.
Mandatory course units
- The Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- Finance in the Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service
- Research Project
- Food and Beverage Operations Management
- Rooms Division Management
- The Developing Manager
Where will I study?
You will study at the Barnsley College, Old Mill Lane Campus, Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2AX within the Hospitality and Catering department allowing full use specialist equipment.
What equipment will I need?
For the Contemporary Gastronomy Unit you will require chef whites, knife kit and safety shoes. Kit lists for these will be available at interview.
How will I be assessed?
Continuous assessment completed through practical events, research projects and written assignments.
What can I do next?
During the course you will:
- Gain an understanding of the nature and diversity of the hospitality industry and range of career opportunities.
- Develop accounting techniques to control costs and profits.
- Develop your knowledge and skills in customer service
- Gain an understanding of the role of marketing in the hospitality industry.
- Gain an understanding of the operational issues that affect the success of the conference and banqueting sector.
- Develop skills in menu planning and related product development.
- Gain an understanding of day-to-day activities and procedures involved in food and beverage operation.
- Learn about the multicultural influences and key determinants that contribute to international cuisine.
- Develop skills in preparing and cooking dishes from different world regions.
The skills you will learn from this course will enable you to:
- Pursue a career in the hospitality and catering industry.
- Continue your learning with a further professional qualification or undergraduate degree in a related subject.
How do I apply?
Apply directly via UCAS.
How much does the course cost?
Course fees: £5,995 per year.
As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need
For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44 (0)1226 216 165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org