If you are a talented musician with a keen interest in current trends in music, you know that these trends have evolved from a growing culture of popular music, and you are impatient to make your contribution this course is just what you need. Our experienced tutors will provide you with the opportunity to expand your technical and theoretical skills in performance and composition.
- The course focuses on performance, composition and the businesses that make up the music industries
- Our small, friendly campus in Barnsley has purpose-built facilities
- You’ll be taught by staff with years of experience working in the performance, composition, live sound and recording industries
- You will have professional performance opportunities and be encouraged to gain industry experience.
You will experience a range of professional practice within the context of stage, recording studio, local music industry or education establishments. The course will teach you to evaluate the current state of the music industry and develop your awareness of commercial practice in composition, performance and recording. You will use excellent facilities and resources, including fully equipped studio/rehearsal rooms, a film and TV studio and three recording studios with digital, surround and analogue facilities.
How long is the course?
This course runs for three years.
What qualification will I achieve?
Popular Music (BA Hons).
What will I study?
Year 1 Core modules:
- Music Industry and Society
- Composition for Popular Music 1
- Musicianship Skills 1
- Ensemble Performance 1
- Studio and Stage Technology
- Solo Performance Skills 1
Year 2 Core modules:
- Music Business and Society
- Composition for Popular Music 2
- Musicianship Skills 2
- Session Musician Skills
- Ensemble Performance 2
- Solo Performance Skills 2
Year 3 Core modules:
- Music Case Study
- Ensemble Performance 3
- Advanced Session Musician Skills
- Employability Skills for Music
- Portfolio: Solo Performance Skills/Composition for Popular Music 3
Where will I study?
University Campus Barnsley, Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2AN.
What equipment will I need?
No equipment needed.
How will I be assessed?
You will learn through lectures and seminars, workshops and studio activities. Your work will be assessed through portfolios, practical demonstrations, written assignments and promotional critiques.
What can I do next?
Graduates have gone on to work as performers, session musicians, composers, song-writers or producers for groups or artists. Some have chosen careers in other media, in advertising, film, installations and game.
How do I apply?
Apply directly via UCAS
How much does the course cost?
Course fees: £5,995 per year.
As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need
For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44 (0)1226 216 165 or email email@example.com
Any changes to the information on this page can be found on the Updates to UCB Information page
† is an award of Sheffield Hallam University