This qualification prepares you for employment in the public services sector and will be suitable for those who have already decided that they wish to enter this area of work. Some adult learners may wish to make the commitment required by this qualification in order to enter a specialist area of employment in public services or progress into higher education.
How long is the course?
This course runs for two years.
What qualification will I achieve?
BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Public Services.
What will I study?
- Small-scale Research Project in Public Services
- Organisations and Behaviour
- Fair Treatment in Public Services
- Psychology of Human and Criminal Behaviour
- Justice and Punishment
- Technology and Public Services
- Aspects of Criminal Law for Public Services (L5)
- Custodial Care in England and Wales
- Research Project
- Personal and Professional Development
- Managing Public Sector Finance
- Government, Decision-making and the Public Services
- Crime Reduction and Community Safety
- The Global Environment
- Emergency Planning and the Public Services
- Criminological Theory Relating to Crimes of Violence
*Any changes to these modules will be listed on our updates page.
Where will I study?
University Campus Barnsley, Church Street, Barnsley, S70 2AN.
What equipment will I need?
You will need writing materials and folders. Students will require suitable practical kit (including indoor and outdoor footwear). Learners will require a storage device and access to a computer.
How will I be assessed?
There are no formal examinations. Most units will be assessed via coursework and may include essays, reports, presentations, professional discussions, group activities as well as practical assessment and evaluation and reflection.
What can I do next?
You may progress to universities to undertake Public Service-related degrees or to related employment. The skills developed through the course are transferable into a range of employment sectors. Students who successfully complete the HND may progress into the specialist selection process for a range of different Public Service Organisations.
How do I apply?
Apply directly via UCAS.
How much does the course cost?
Course fees: £5,995 per year.
As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need
For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44 (0)1226 216 165 or email firstname.lastname@example.org