How long is the course?
You will study for two years part-time. Attendance is usually one evening between 3pm and 7pm per week.There is also a teaching placement of a minimum of 50 hours each year.
What qualification will I achieve?
This course leads to the Certificate in Education (Lifelong Learning).
What will I study?
You study the following modules:
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- Personal and Professional Development
- Studies in Teaching a Specialist Subject
- Studies in Curriculum and Professional Issues
If you are interested in teaching in the lifelong learning sector, our courses enable you to develop your teaching skills, reflect on current ideas about education and training, and explore the professional educational and training opportunities open to you. It is not designed to train teachers for the school sector and does not confer Qualified Teacher Status, however it provides a route to the award of Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS).
We aim to equip you with:
- The confidence and practical skills necessary to manage a variety of learning situations
- The knowledge and understanding needed to appreciate the place of your skills in the general context of Further and Higher Education
- The ability to identify your present and future needs for professional development
- The ability to play a full part in the administrative and curriculum development activities of colleges or training organisations
More generally, we aim to produce teachers who are flexible and innovative, who can work as members of interdisciplinary teams and who have a deep interest in the academic and pastoral well-being of their students.
Research plays an important role in informing all our teaching and learning activities. Through research our staff remain up-to-date with the latest developments in their field, which means you develop knowledge and skills that are current and highly relevant to industry.
Where will I study?
University Campus Barnsley, Church Street, Barnsley S70 2AN
What equipment will I need?
You will require stationery items.
How will I be assessed?
There are no examinations; assessment is by portfolio or assignment.
What can I do next?
Career opportunities are as wide ranging and diverse as the sector.
How do I apply?
Apply directly to the University of Huddersfield.
How much does the course cost?
Course fees: £2,995 per year.
As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.
Disability and Dyslexia Service
Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need.
For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on 01226 216 165 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Any changes to the information on this page can be found on the Updates to UCB Information page
is an award of the University of Huddersfield