How do I pay my loan back?

Once you’re earning over £21,000 per year deductions will be made automatically from your salary by your employer in the same way they deduct tax and national insurance payments. If you stop working or if your salary drops below £21,000 per year then your student loan repayments would stop. The table below will give you an idea of how much you might repay each month: 

Annual salary before tax Repayment per month
£16,000 £0
£21,000 £0
£22,000 £7
£25,000 £30
£30,000 £67
£36,000 £112

If your income changes during the year your repayment amounts will change to reflect this.

Help with living costs

Financial support with living costs is available for full-time, eligible students in two ways, as explained below.

Both loans and grants are dependent on your household income – this means the total annual income before tax of anyone you live with, such as your parents or partner.

Maintenance Loan

Students can receive up to £5,740* per year if they are living away from home. The Maintenance Loan is repaid alongside the tuition fee loan once you’re earning over £21,000* per year.

Maintenance Grant

Maintenance Grants do not have to be paid back. Bear in mind that any grant you get will reduce the Maintenance Loan you qualify for. The table below details how much help you may be eligible to receive:

Household income* Grant per year for courses from September 2015
£25,000 or less £3,387
£30,000 £2,441
£35,000 £1,494
£40,000 £547
£42,620 £50
Over £42,620 No grant

Help for trainee teachers

Some teaching courses attract government funding. For more information see

Special Support Grant

If you are a full-time student you may get a Special Support Grant instead of a Maintenance Grant if you get or qualify for Income Support or Housing Benefit. The amount you get is the same as the Maintenance Grant, but it won’t reduce the Maintenance Loan you can get.

You may get the Special Support Grant if, for example, you’re a lone parent or have certain disabilities.

Help for parents

There are a number of schemes that can help parents to balance childcare and study, including Childcare Grants and the Access to Learning Fund.

For more information on eligibility for these go to

Thinking about returning to education?

If you are aged 25 or over before the start of your course or have supported yourself financially for at least three years, you are entitled to the same financial support as students who start university straight from college or school.

For more information on any aspect of student finance, call Student Finance England on Tel: 0845 300 5090 or go to Web:

*All figures/criteria quoted on this site are based on 2015 entry.