Course Details

How long is the course?

This is a two year part-time course. The attendance requirement for tutor led group sessions is normally either one evening per week.

Further Entry Requirements

Certificate in Education

You should have HNC, CGLI Advanced, NVQ level 3/4, in the subject area you teach, or appropriate professional qualifications. Significant work experience in the area you teach (where appropriate to the subject field).

If you hold a basic teaching qualification (such as CTLLS) or have substantial knowledge and experience of teaching you may be able to make a claim for accreditation of prior learning.

Current trainees include people with expertise in business management, communications, computing, construction, engineering, English, health and social care, hospitality, learning difficulties and disabilities, leisure, Maths, media, NHS training, Offender Learning, Police and Fire Service training, social sciences etc. However, all subject areas will be considered.

You are required to identify a work-based mentor who can support you in your subject specialism.

We welcome applications from people from ethnic minority groups and people with disabilities as part of our commitment to widening participation. We have researched issues and developed policy which has increased applications and enrolments from people in these areas over the last few years, including taster events. We actively try to remove any barriers you may feel would prevent you from participating in our courses.

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS, formerly Criminal Records Bureau) clearance checks

Learning and teaching organisations normally include young and vulnerable people and it is therefore important that screening is undertaken to help ensure a safe environment. As this is an in-service course, your employer (or voluntary placement provider) is responsible for ensuring that you are a fit and proper person to undertake the work that they employ you for. The UCB does not therefore normally undertake checks on those applying to this provision (though it reserves the right to do so). However, as part of the application process you will need to provide the date of your most recent DBS check and the associated reference number.

If you are self-employed as a teacher/trainer, we can arrange for an enhanced clearance from the Disclosure and Barring Service. Guidance can be found on the Home Office website.   At the end of the CertEd/PGCE application form, there is a declaration that you must sign to confirm you have clearance.

Health check

As this is an in-service course, your employer is responsible for ensuring that you are fit to undertake the job you are employed for. The University therefore does not normally undertake health checks (but reserves the right to undertake a Fitness to Practise test)


When you complete your online application form you will find a reference request form which you should download and pass on to your referee for them to complete and return to UCB.

Evidence of qualifications

You must provide evidence of your qualifications. Photocopies are not acceptable.

What qualification will I achieve?

This course leads to the Certificate in Education (Lifelong Learning).

What will I study?

The Certificate in Education (Lifelong Learning) are structured around modules which are based on different aspects of teachers’ work such as designing learning materials, assessing students, and evaluating learning and teaching.

Research plays an important role in informing all our teaching and learning activities. Through research our staff remain up-to-date with the latest developments in their field, which means you develop knowledge and skills that are current and highly relevant to industry.

Academic credit is gained by undertaking assignments and providing evidence of achievement. This allows you to explore topics that are of interest to you, relevant to your working environment, and to your career development. You take 60 undergraduate credits a year.

The modules are as follows:

  • Teaching, Learning and Assessment
  • Personal and Professional Development
  • Studies in Teaching a Specialist Subject
  • Studies in Curriculum and Professional Issues

As part of the course, you will complete a subject specialist module. This requires two days of attendance at the University of Huddersfield in year two (two days at Easter). You will be informed of the exact dates during the first year of the course.

A full-time pre-service route is available for those not yet teaching.

Where will I study?

University Campus Barnsley, Church Street, Barnsley S70 2AN.

What equipment will I need?

You will require stationery items.

How will I be assessed?

Much of the course is focused on practical teaching. Through your employment or voluntary teaching, you gain experience of learning and teaching alongside other professionals, with support from tutors and your mentor, as a vehicle for your development. Practical experience allows you to gain competence in planning teaching and learning, and in working with learners both in formal classrooms and in student-centred learning situations, such as drop-in study centres.

What can I do next?

This course leads to a professional qualification if you are already teaching in Further Education colleges, adult education, higher education and a wide range of other training and educational settings outside the schools sector. If you are appropriately employed in the learning and skills sector, it provides a route to Qualified Teacher Learning and Skills (QTLS) through a process administered by the Institute for Learning (IfL). Please note that the course does not confer Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) for those working or intending to work in schools, although it is currently possible for people with QTLS to obtain work in schools as a qualified teacher.

If you are currently teaching young people or adults these courses help you to develop your teaching skills, reflect on current ideas about education and training, and to creatively explore the professional opportunities open to you.

The growth of lifelong learning should enhance your career opportunities. The awards are currently registered with the Institute for Learning (IfL) and are accredited by the Higher Education Academy, the relevant professional bodies for further and higher education teaching.

How do I apply?

Apply directly to the University of Huddersfield. Make sure you choose the Barnsley campus in the drop down lists on the online application form.

How much does the course cost?

Course fees: £2,995 per year.

Student Finance

As a Higher Education student living in England you may be eligible for the non-means tested Tuition Fee Loan from the Government. See the Fees and Finance page for further information.

Disability and Dyslexia Service

Our Disability and Dyslexia Service can provide you with the support you need.

Further information

For further information please contact our friendly Information Team on +44 (0)1226 216 165 or e-mail

Any changes to the information on this page can be found on the Updates to UCB Information page

‡ Is an award of the University of Huddersfield