We ofer a range of support and flexible study strategies to any student who has a disability, a specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia or dyspraxia, or a chronic health condition, including any mental health issues such as depression or anxiety.
We want to work with you as soon as possible, even before you start at Barnsley College, to support your transition and to identify what you require to enable you to fully engage with your course and to get the most out of your studies.
Our staff will work with you on a confidential basis to explore what you need throughout your course in order to achieve your full academic potential, without this being compromised by your health or disability.
Our service can offer you the following:
- Dyslexia advice and guidance
- Advice and assistance with applying for Disabled Students Allowances (DSA) and arranging a Study Needs Assessment
- Advice to your academic team on adjustments that you may need
- Liaison with central services including extended library loans
- Liaison with external agencies to coordinate the practical support you may need
- Advice on disability issues such as campus access or assistive software
- Arranging your essential support workers such as a dyslexia tutor, a study mentor or a British Sign Language Interpreter
- Flexible exam arrangements
What happens when you apply?
If you identify a disability or any long term diagnosis on your UCAS application we will send you an information pack and registration form for our service.
Once you return that to us, together with your evidence of disability, you will be offered an appointment with the Disability Adviser to explore what you might need for the course and, in most cases, to begin the process of completing your DSA funding application.
This is a confidential, informal meeting which gives you the chance to tell us how you feel your disability, health issue or specific learning difficulty might impact upon your studies.
The sooner we make contact with you the better so that, where possible, your support strategies can be agreed before you start.
For more information please contact us on Tel: +44 (0)1226 216 782 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org